My thoughts on food, restaus, makeup, fashion, books, movies, photography, events and everything else that interests me. Enjoy!

Monday, January 01, 2007

Peking Garden

Ate at Pecking Garden for our first ever family reunion in my father's father's side.
Had a blast. Food was great but service was really poor. They were not able to properly 
time the serving of the different dishes. For example, we waited 15 minutes after being 
served (and finishing) the appetizers before the soup was served and so on.

It was also quite difficult to grab the attention of the waiters, not to mention that 
they were packed that night. Lastly, they forgot to clear up our plates, bowls etc before
serving the next course. Lack of training maybe? Or plain holiday rush....

We even had a set menu specially for us, they even went the exta mile and had little booklet menus publsihed for us. This are what we had :

1. 4 Kinds of Appetizer (white soy chicken, asado, jellyfish and hamon)
-I didn't like the chicken, it was too bland for me, also I hate boiled chicken skin. I liked the asado and the pata hamon a lot. I didn't bother to taste the jellyfish.

2. Chicken and Meat Dumpling Soup in Casserole
-One meat dumpling per person. The chicken part of this soup were whole boiled chickens sliced/'carved' before serving. Soup was bland for many so they added soy sauce, but it was good enough for me.

3.Peking Duck
-This one I loved. They served it only one way (we usually have it served in 2ways) with warm pita bread, spring onion stalk and Hoissin sauce. For those who are not familiar, what you do is coat a portion of the bread with the sauce, place a few spring onions (I put one only hehe) and some duck slices then just roll it up as you would lumpia (spring rolls). We ate it like pritchon. What I love about peking duck is that it is so artsy to carve (I actually enjoy watching duck getting carved). And oh, the skin, need I say more. It makes me sin thinking about it.

4. Prawns with Sweet and Spicy Sauce
-These were balled prawns in orange batter with a supoosed sweet and spicy sauce which I found to be neither sweet nor spicy.

5. Steamed Fish Fillet with Preserved Vegetables
-The fish fillet was a bit overcooked in my opinion and the preserved vegetables on top of it were way too salty when eaten alone. As always, its best to eat the fish with the topping together.

6. Sliced Beef in Oyster Sauce with Vegetables
-This dish came very late. Beef was a bit hard to chew. I didn't find anything special about this dish. Honestly, it looked more pork than beef because of its orange color.

7. Stewed 4 Treasure Vegetable with Minced Ham
-With regards to this dish, I think they sered us the wrong thing. First, the dish that was supposed be this only had 3 vegetables in it; stalks of some vegetable, fresh mushrooms and boiled brocolli. Aside from that, there was no minced ham at all in the dish!

8. Peking Garden Fried Rice
-This was actually jusy Yang Chow fried rice. I honestly prefer Northpark's version much more.

9. Steamed Vegetable Dumpling

-They actually forgot to serve this. It was okay I guess. But not something I would order if it were not included in the set menu.

10. Chilled Almond Jelly with Fruit Cocktail

-Basic dessert Nothing special to say. At least the almond jelly had some real flavor.

There was so much food leftover, it could feed all of us all over again. Like I said, service was not properly timed. They had no refillable drinks whatsoever and yet we ended up ordering several glasses of iced tea per person because of all the waiting. And so, our stomachs were filled with our drinks instead of the food. We were the only family that was not Chinese in that place. By 10pm, even though we were still busy with telling stories among one another, the waiters started cleaning up and the people stardted to leave. I found out that they strictly closed at 10:30. We felt like they were driving us away already (tinataboy) and gave us our bill even if we had not asked for it yet.
I probably would not eat here again on my own choosing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a whole lot

Anonymous said...

how much was it?