My thoughts on food, restaus, makeup, fashion, books, movies, photography, events and everything else that interests me. Enjoy!

Monday, April 23, 2007

Thai at Silk

Been meaning to eat here for the longest time, but was only able to have the chance to do so last week. As I had expected, service was good. In fact, I think they were overstaffed. They were very very prompt in refilling my water glass and offering me rice when I was running low. It was as if they had their eyes glued on us. Spooky. Haha. Anyways, here's what we tried:

Tom Yum Kai Php190
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Our half consummed Tom Yum. Indeed the broth was good! Perfect sour/spicy/sweet combination. But what I liked even more was the generous serving of mushrooms! Hmmm. Perfect! This was described as chicken galangal in coconut creme soup. Good for 4 servings.

Mee Krawp Php330

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My heart beats faster with the thought of this dish. I have been looking for this dish in all Thai restaus I eat in. I first tried this way back in 2002 in L.A. and have never forgotten the dish. Imagine my surprise and excitement when I found this in the menu!!!!! Excited!!!! Ecstatic!!! This is basically crispy fried noodles with a sweet/sour tamarind sauce and some shrimps. The tamarind sauce was sooo good. As we say in the vernacular, "nag-aagaw ang tamis at asim" (sauce was bordering sweet and sour at the same time) and so it was really addicting. The noodles were also perfectly fried. Good for 4 servings too.

Panang Pla Kapong Yang Bai Tong Php360
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I could not resist. I took a bite before taking the picture. This is sole fish char-grilled in a banana leaf with perfumed panaeng curry. I didn't notice the fish that much, though  at the very least it tasted fresh but what caught my attention was the curry! I don't particularly like curry, but this version, I couldn't get enough of! I found myself scooping curry unto my rice (which was refillable Jasmine at Php60).

Will definitely come back for more of that Mee Krawp!

Funny thing I noticed, they translated the dishes ordered for the receipt. So the Tom Yum Kai became "Clear Chicken Soup", the Mee Krawp became "Crispy Fried Noodles"
and the Panang Pla Kapong Yang Bai Tang became "Sole Fish with Panaeng Curry." Makes sense 
though I guess. :)

No comments: