My thoughts on food, restaus, makeup, fashion, books, movies, photography, events and everything else that interests me. Enjoy!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Cafe, Dusit Hotel

My mom's birthday celebration continues. We decided to try The Cafe at Dusit Hotel Nikko. The 
ambience here is more subdued than those of the other buffets I've been to. It's more relaxing to eat here as opposed to other buffets where there is a mad rush of people when new dishes are being served. I love their salads and desserts. For Php650++ we were able to try the following:

Cream of Roasted Mushroom Soup with Basil Foam: I loved this! ahhh.... My fave soup now I think. The mushroom was just perfect and the basil was a great addition. I couldn't get enough of this.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (l-r)
Feta Cheese and Grape Salad: A wonderful ode to greece. I loved that the feta cheese was not that soft and that all these wonderful ingredients mixed together make for a refreshing start.
Pear and  Walnut Salad: This was new to me. Hardly any dressing needed. Refreshing as well. Great crispy pears!
Thai Salad: Of the three I tried, this one has the most "attitude." If you're not careful, you could be eating whole silis (peppers) already. It had cherry tomatoes, mandarin oranges, grated green mangoes, walnuts and sitaw (string beans).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My appetizer plate. Had some cold cuts and cheeses. The right most cheese 
cut into a thin triangle had a very mild taste. The small triangular cheese
block had avery strong taste. I'm guessing it was a smoked bacon something. The smoked tanigue and smoked salmon were fresh, thank goodness for that. The sauces they came with were also very pleasing. I prefer the yellowish sauce more.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Round 1. Had the crabmeat canneloni which was very cheesy,  yum. The panseared fish roulade with spinach and cheese in white cream sauce, which did not taste like fish at all. I liked this one too. Had some California Maki with this too.

Round 2. Got some tempura. This was supposed to be their specialty for the buffet. I was expecting so much. Oh me, oh my. This was the worst tasting tempura I have ever tasted. Ever.
My mom's feable attempts at making home made tempura was much better than this!!! eck.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (l-r)
Round 3. The Korean Beef Stew was the best main dish for me. The meat was soo tender and the sauce was not 
too sweet and not too spicy. I had dreams of making this papak with rice but sadly my stomach would not let it.
Brochettes of Chicken wrapped in Parma Ham. This was disappointing. The chicken was tough and the ham was way too dry. Hey! I thought ham was supposed to be greasy. haha. It was tough to finish this.
Gambas. This was okay. Nothing special worth mentioning really. No complaints nor praises.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My desser plate. Oink oink. Many many cakes. I just wanted to try them all and shared this plate with my mom. Not pictured are my Coffee Pudding and Creme Brulee. Of all these cakes here, I liked the disfigured (not my fault) one at the righter side.

So there. I couldn't even eat dinner anymore. I feel like I gained 10lbs. from all that. Hahahaha. If you want to try this, then better go fast. This set ends on Feb. 13 just in time for their Valentine Specials... :)

No comments: